Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
International Scholars

Academic departments wishing to invite international scholars to campus for any reason are advised to check with ISSS as soon as possible to determine what visa type/recommendations are needed for the intended program. BSU is authorized by the U.S. Department of State to sponsor exchange visitors (J-1 visa) to teach and conduct research​ at BSU. ISSS is responsible for administering the exchange visitor program at BSU.

How to host a visiting international scholar
  • Reach out to ISSS with initial inquiry and basic information on potential visiting scholar. This should include the length of time you would like to invite the scholar for and the nature of the work that will be performed by the scholar, e.g., teaching or conducting research.
  • Work with the international scholar to obtain the supporting documents located within the International Scholar Application Packet.
  • Housing for scholar: ISSS may have availability within the International Scholar House. This is for guests over 18 and single guest only (no dependents). Alternative housing should be sought if the International Scholar House is unavailable.
  • Develop an academic support plan and/or schedule for the international scholar. This could be research hours, lab locations, classroom hours, courses to be taught, meetings with key BSU stakeholders, etc.
  • Develop welcome plan for the international scholar. Which key academic stakeholder(s) will meet within the first few days upon arrival?
  • Transportation to and from the airport for the scholar. How is the international scholar getting to BSU and then back to the airport at the end of their stay? ISSS can work to request Fleet Services, but that is subject the availability of student drivers and budget.
  • Social Security Number: Required for employment. If the scholar will teach a social security number is required. If the international scholar does not already have a number they will need to apply for one prior to beginning employment. The Social Security Administration recommends that exchange visitors wait 10 calendar days after entry into the US before applying for an SSN.

Click the buttons below for international scholar forms and information

Navy blue square with white writing ​Navy blue square with white writingNavy blue square with white writing

Tax Information

If hired to work on-campus please review and complete the Tax Information for International Student and Scholars​ provided by Payroll and Human Resources.​​

 Nave blue square with white writing ​