The Department of Mathematics offers a wide variety of activities and programs for students including a math club, Honors in mathematics, undergraduate research, and the Massachusetts Gamma chapter of the Pi Mu Epsilon honorary mathematical society. The Department offers a Bachelor of Science degree with concentrations in pure math and statistics, a minor in mathematics and an interdisciplinary minor in actuarial science. We also offer Graduate programs leading to the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT-Math).
The Bridgewater State University Mathematics Department recognizes the constantly changing needs and goals of business, industry and education and upholds standards of high quality and growth. We are pleased to welcome you to the pages of the Department of Mathematics at Bridgewater State University. We hope that you find them helpful and informative.
The mission of the mathematics program is:
- To introduce students to mathematics as an important area of human thought;
- To help students appreciate the beauty and scope of mathematics;
- To give students the mathematical knowledge necessary to teach mathematics at the secondary or elementary level;
- To prepare students for careers in actuarial science, business, government, and industry;
- To serve the needs of students in fields which rely on mathematics;
- To prepare students for graduate studies in mathematics.
This program provides a broad background in mathematics and will prepare graduates for employment in mathematics or for graduate studies in the field.