Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

New Students:

  • When will I find out my room assignment?
    All new students will select their housing assignment in mid-July.
  • What residence hall will I be living in?
    First Year students can live in Shea, Durgin, Scott, Pope​, and Woodward halls.  There are occasions​ when first year student could be assigned to another residence hall​ on campus. ​​

  • What is the Residence Hall License Agreement?
    The Residence Hall License Agreement is second step for student to complete, after submitting a housing deposit.  The Residence Hall License Agreement is found in each students' MyHousing account.  Student should read the entire license agreement because it contains policies and expectionats for resident students, by signing the license agreement you are agreeing to these terms.  
    In the license agreement student will also select their meal plan, more information about meal plans can be found on the Parking and Connect Card site​.  

  • Can I request a specific roommate?
    Yes, you may request a specific roommate, as long as you are in the same room selection process.  Requests may be submitted on the Personal Preferences section of the Residence Hall License Agreement and must be mutual (All parties involved must make the request). 

  • What if I have trouble logging into the application?
    Help is available in the Office of Residence Life and Housing via phone 508.531.1277 or email at  The office is open Monday through Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM
  • Who is eligible to participate in room selection?
    Current resident students who have paid a $250 housing deposit and completed the required Residence Hall License Agreement by the stated deadline.
  • How are room selection times assigned?
    All eligible students are randomly assigned a selection time by class year and gender.
  • When my selection time is activated, how long will I have to select?
    You may take as long as you like. but be aware that the next numbers will also be activated at regular intervals.
  • What if I am not available to select at my selection time?
    You may select at any time after your selection time.
  • Can I change my room assignment once it has been made?
    You may submit an online room change request form during the room change period.  If you are assigned to an additional occupancy room, you will receive special instructions regarding the additional occupancy shuffling process in mid-September. Every effort is made to accommodate requests, but there is no guarantee that your request will be honored.

  • What is a "permanent" or "design" room?
    A "permanent" or "design" room is a room that is always intended to house a designated number of students. For example, a permanent triple room is always intended to house three students and has furniture for all three students. In some buildings, larger built-in closets are shared by the residents.

  • What is "additional occupancy"?
    "Additional occupancy"​ is a temporary situation where an additional student is placed in a design double room. An additional bed is placed in each of these rooms to accommodate the additional occupant. For new students assignments into additional occupancy are made according to the date of application to the University (the earlier the application, the less likely you will be placed into additional occupancy).  Students assigned to these spaces receive a 20% rebate on the housing costs for the period of additional occupancy. For more information about additional occupancy, see the Living in Community section of the RLH website.
  • How long do students have to live in "additional occupancy" spaces?
    Through experience we know that a number of students will not arrive at opening or will leave during the first semester. As design spaces become available, students living in additional occupancy rooms are offered permanent spaces. Assignment into available space from additional occupancy space is made based on date of application to the University. Traditionally all students in additional occupancy rooms have been offered permanent spaces by the beginning of the second semester.

  • What if I decide that I do not want to live on campus?
    If a student decides not to live on campus, they should notify our office. Students who choose to withdraw​​ from housing before moving in will forfeit their $250 deposit, but will have their housing charges credited to their account according to the refund schedule. Students who wish to leave housing after moving in must check-out of their room and petition to be released from the Residence Hall License Agreement and if granted, will receive a partial refund, the $250 deposit is forfeit. Please refer to the student handbook for specifics.

  • How do I check-out of my room?
    Every student is responsible for checking out of their room/suite/apartment when they move out.  Student need to check out with a Residence Life and Housing staff member, this includes RAs, RDs, and ACs.  RAs are on duty every night in every building in the RA office from 7pm-12am.  If a student is moving out and needs to check-out outside of the RA duty hours they will need to make arrangements ahead of time with the RD or AC in their building​.  Student also have the option to complete and Express Check Out Form​​ and return it to the Residence Life and Housing office in 100 DiNardo Hall.  If students do not check out there will be a $35 improper check out fee assessed.  

  • How much does it cost to live on campus?
    Click Here to view the residence hall living costs.  Students living in the residence halls are required to have a meal plan. For more information about meal plans or to choose/change your meal plan, click here. Apartments residents are not required to have a meal plan.  Residents are also required to pay a ResNet fee and a Resident Student Activity Fee each semester. A complete list of fees and the refund policy are available in the student handbook.

  • I am an International and/or Exchange Student, What information should I know before arriving at BSU?
    We have collected information for students joining BSU from other countries.  All the information on our website is important to know, but this section is made specifically for International and/or Exchange Students. ​

  • I have never shared a room before or lived away from home, what advise do you have for me?
    We have collected some useful tips and resources about living with a roommate and working through shared space use and conflicts when they arise.  Click HERE​ to view the resources.  You can also reach our to the RAs, RDs, or ACs when you are on campus, they have all been training in conflict resolution.
  • As a parent and family member, what does my student need to be successful living on-campus?
    We have collected some useful tips and resources​ for parents and families to help their student while living on-campus.  You can also reach out to the office for advise 508.531.1277.


  • What are the dimensions of the rooms?
    Most rooms in Shea and Durgin Halls are approximately 15 feet by 11 feet. Most rooms in Woodward Hall are approximately 14 feet by 14 feet.  Most rooms in Scott Hall are approximately 15 feet by 13 feet.   If you plan on bringing a rug it should be small enough to not interfere with the sweep of the door. We recommend purchasing a 6' x 9' rug.

  • What should I bring? and What can I not bring?
    HERE is our suggested packing list.  You will see we highlight a few of the prohibited items on this list.  For a full list of prohibited items click HERE.
  • What is provided in a room?
    Each room is furnished with extra-long twin beds, dressers, desks with chairs, closets and bookshelves. Rooms designated as "additional occupancy" have one extra bed.

  • After I receive my assignment, can I come and see the room?
    Unfortunately, this cannot be arranged. There are summer programs that use the residence halls during the summer months.

  • How do I record the condition of my room when I move-in and move-out?
    Each student is required to complete a Room Condition Report (RCR) with an RLH staff member, typically an RA in the building.  The RCR is a form each student has the opportunity to view as they move in, it lists every piece of furniture and the physical room sturctures, and see what conditions/damages are already present in the room/suite/apartment.  The RCR is then used after a student moves out to determine the damages that occured during their stay.  Students are responsible for an damages that occur in the entire space during their stay, damages are assessed after students move-out by an AC or RD.  

  • How do I arrange for telephone, cable TV, and internet services?
    All three services are part of the ResNet (Resident Network) program. A fee, separate from a resident student's housing fee, provides unlimited local dialing, call waiting, voice mail, reduced long-distance charges, cable television, premium sports, music, and movie channels, Residence Life Cinema, high speed internet access, and wireless internet access.  Information about ResNet will be provided with your assignment information. Specific questions can be directed to the ResNet Hotline at 508.531.7999 or E-Mail at The ResNet website has more information about the program.

  • When will I know what my mailing address will be?
    All resident students receive​ mail at Mail Services​.  All correspondence sent to resident students must be addressed in this way:

    Student Name
    45 School Street c/o Mail Services
    Bridgewater State University
    Bridgewater, MA 02325

Student Services:

  • What laundry service and facilities are available to residence?
    Each residence hall has laundry facilities in it. These services are made available by an outside contractor, MacGray. A phone number is listed on each machine. Broken machines and refund requests should be reported directly to this number. The number for laundry related problems is 1-800-MAC-GRAY.

    LaundryView​ is also available for residents. LaundryView is an online service provided by MacGray where students can track the availability of washers and driers in their building in real time. You can access LaundryView at any time here or using the BSU mobile app.​

  • How can I keep my room running smoothly through out the year?
    We have written out some tips for students to keep their room running smoothly through out the year.  Click HERE ​and read through our tips.

  • When will the bathrooms be cleaned?
    Each building has a bathroom cleaning schedule.  The schedules can be found on the building pages​.  Please keep in mind that the maintainers can not touch personal belongings, each bathroom should be cleared of personal belongings before the maintainers enter to clean.  

  • What if something breaks in my room during the semester?
    Students can submit a work order through our work order request system of School Dude​.  Work orders can be submitted for such things as light bulb burned out, furniture malfunction​, or any problem encountered in a room.  If it is an emergency please contact The Office of Residence Life and Housing at 508.531.1277 Monday-Friday 8am-5pm, or BUS PD after hours and over the weekend at 508.531.1212.

  • I plan on studying abroad, what do I have to do about my on-campus housing?
    For student participating in a BSU sponsored study abroad program you will need to follow the steps on this PAGE​ to be sure you complete all paperwork and let Residence Life and Housing know you are leaving and when you are coming back to housing.  

  • How can I be sure I will be safe in the residence halls?
    Twenty-four hour security is provided in Scott, Pope, Woodward, Shea and Durgin Halls as well as the Great Hill Student Apartments. Other halls have student security officers staffing the entrances to the halls from 5 PM - 2 AM daily. Additionally, all residence halls are equipped with a card access system which only allows access to the residence halls by the residents of that hall. Residents will present their ID, known as the Connect Card, upon entering the building, ensuring only authorized persons gain entrance. 
  • What do I do and where do I go when the fire alarm sounds in the residence hall?
    Everyone in a residence hall needs to evacuate when the fire alarm sounds.  You will find more instructions and meeting locations HERE​.  Be sure to use all exits when evacuating the residence halls, including emergency exits and the main entrance.​

  • If I am having a problem once I arrive to campus, who should I contact?
    The Resident Assistant or RA is the first person a student should contact if they are having problems on campus. Resident Assistants are student leaders who live with the resident students and are selected and trained to help establish a healthy residence community. They either assist directly or provide referrals for questions or concerns with academics, safety and security, physical or mental health, and other topics which are a part of living on-campus. The next level of support is the Area Coordinators (AC) and Resident Director (RD). ACs and RDs are full-time, professional staff that work and live in the buildings. They supervise student staff and are responsible for the overall management or the residence hall(s) to which they are assigned. Students having difficulty on campus can also come to the Office of Residence Life and Housing, located in DiNardo​ Hall, Room 100. The telephone number is 508.531.1277.

  • How do I change my meal plan?
    You will select your meal plan each semester and have the first five days from the official first day of classes of each semester to change your meal plan selection if you choose to do so. Only one change allowed per semester.  You can do so in MyHousing​ or by contacting the Parking and Connect Card Office.
  • Do I need personal property insurance while living on-campus?
    Our license agreement states that Bridgwater State University is not reponsible for personal property owned by resident students.  To assist you in managing the risk of loss of your personal property, we have partnered with CSI Insurance Company to offer information about student property insurance.  We urge you to consider this type of coverage for your personal property.  Even if you have coverage under your family's homeowners' or tenants' policies, you may want the broader coverage with lower deductibles that is available with student property insurance.  For more information about coverage and availalbe policies, see CSI Insurance Company's website at​ or call 888.411.4911.  In order to effect coverage, you must apply to CSI Insurance Company.