Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

Residence Life and Housing


Petition Release from Agreement

Office of Residence Life and Housing
Residence Hall License Agreement
Petition for Release from Agreement
General Information:
The ​Residence Hall License Agreement is a contractual agreement between the resident student and the university.  The term of the agreement is for the full academic year (fall and spring semesters).

The following is the university's statement on the agreement period and terms for agreement releases:

​​AGREEMENT PERIOD:  This Agreement is for the entire academic year unless this Agreement is canceled or​ terminated as specified​ below.  ​This Agreement does not include residency during school vacations.  (Please consult the University calendar in the student handbook for the exact vacation dates).  Each resident will be held responsible for the ​complete payment of room fees and , if applicable, a Meal Service Plan for the entire year, ​or the pro-rated balance if the student is accepted as a resident after the start thereof, or except as otherwise provided herein.


A student may request, in writing via the on-line form, a release from this Agreement under the following conditions:
  • A student may request a release from this Agreement during the University's published refund period at the beginning of each semester.  If granted, the room deposit is forfeited and the student is responsible for room related and food service plan charges in accordance with the refund policy of the University.  
  • A student may request a release from this Agreement at the end of the fall semester.  If granted, the room deposit is forfeited but the student will not be responsible for spring semester room related and food service plan charges.
  • A student may request a release from this Agreement if they are participating in a recognized exchange program.  If granted, the room deposit is not forfeited nor will the student be responsible for room related and food service plan charges while they are on exchange.
Petition Guidelines:
  1. To be released from the ​Residence Hall License Agreement, ​​​the student must demonstrate an inability to fulfill the terms of the agreement due to extenuating circumstances impacting the student.
  2. The student's petition ​must include the petition form along with a letter written by the student which clearly demonstrates why the student is requesting a release from the agreement.
  3. There are three (3) categories that will​ be considered for release, student must provide appropriate documentation:
    1. Financial reasons
      1. The student must have a complete FAFSA on file with the Financial Aid Office.
      2. The student must upload a letter from the Financial Aid Office that supports the student's petition.
    2. Medical/Psychological reasons
      1. The Student must upload a letter, on letterhead from a Medical provider, which specifically addresses the student's petition.
    3. Academic Reasons- i.e. Student teaching, participation in a for credit internship, or BSU approved study abroad program.  
      1. The student must upload documentation that substantiates his or her placement in student teaching or a for credit internship or BSU approved study abroad program.
  4. The student and only the student may petition for an exception.  Petitions will not be accepted from any other individual on behalf of a resident student.
  5. The student's petition form, letter and all supporting documentation should be uploaded via the on-line form.
The Board meets on the 1st Thursday of each month - petitions must be submitted by 4:00PM on the Wednesday prior to the 1st Thursday of the month in order to be considered.

Notification of Board decisions is made via the Bridgewater State University student e-mail system.

​To Appeal The Housing Petition Board's decision: (this is only after you have completed the petition and received​ your decision)
- Send an email to Greg Mantolesky at with the subject line "Petition Appeal-LAST NAME"
- In the email include any new or relevant information for your appeal
- Appeals will be heard on a rolling bases.