Cable Television Service
ResNet provides resident students with Comcast's cable TV service. All residence hall rooms are equipped with a hookup for this unique cable television channel line-up. The new cable television system includes 115 channels which 85 are HD channels and 30 are digital channels. We also provide you with premiere movie channels such as HBO, Showtime, Reslife Cinema movies (Ch 130.1 and 130.2 and On-Demand).
To receive all of the available channels, students should bring an HD/digital ready television. Your televisions needs to have a QAM tuner/receiver.
How do I know if my tv has a QAM tuner?
- Most HD or digital televisions sold after 2006 have an internal digital QAM tuner.
- Check your TV remote control for a dot (.) or dash (-). If the remote has a dot (.) or a (-) included on the key pad, then the TV probably has a QAM tuner.
- Check your owner's manual specifications section and look for QAM tuner capabilities. If you no longer have the owner's manual, you may find it on the TV manufacturer's website.
Can I use my television if it does NOT have a QAM tuner?
- Yes, however, you will only receive analog channels 2 - 18.
- Yes, however, if you would like to view more than channels 2 - 18, a DTA converter box is required.
A Digital Transport Adapter (DTA) is a 1-way video device that allows your analog TV to view with our cable televisions channels with digital quality picture and sound.
Can ResNet loan you a digital television adapter (DTA)?
Yes, if we have them available in stock. These units are available on a first come, first serve basis.
Please email ResNet at firstname.lastname@example.org for DTA loaner availability. Upon ResNet notification that the units are available, you will visit us in Boyden Room 009 to sign one out. There is no charge for the DTA, however, there is a $200 fee if you do not return it to Boyden when you move out.
Cable TV Installation:
Connect the coaxial cable (ResNet can supply you with a coax cable) to the "antenna input" jack on the back of your TV then connect the other end to the cable wall jack. Make sure the connections are snug, but do not over tighten.
Plug the TV power cord into an electrical outlet and turn on the TV.
On your remote, find and press the <Menu> button.
Look through the list of options and find <Cable Settings>.
Be sure that this is set to <Cable> or <CATV>.
How do I program my digital TV to receive all the University channels?
When you set up your TV in your room, you will need to "scan" your TV for new channels. Exact details on how to auto program or auto tune digital TVs vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. For best results, refer to the owner’s manual for the specific TV you are working with. Most TVs will take .
Using the TVs remote control, follow these general steps:
- Press the <Power> button to turn on the TV
Press the <Menu> Button
Select <Auto Program>
Select <OK> (Approx 10 minutes to complete full channel scan