FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
How do I set-up my Smart TV?
To get the digital channels, simply perform a channel scan as described below.
As for internet, Smart TV's can now connect to our 'BSU_Gaming' wireless network! Simply select the 'BSU_Gaming' network and enter the password 'resnet7999' to connect.
How do I program my digital TV to receive all the University channels?
When you set up your TV in your room, you will need to "scan" your TV for new channels. Exact details on how to auto program or auto tune digital TVs vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. For best results, refer to the owner’s manual for your specific TV.
Using the TVs remote control, follow these general steps:
Press the <Power> button to turn on the TV
Press the <Menu> Button
Select <Auto Program>
Select <OK> (Approx 10-15 minutes to complete full channel scan)
Can I connect a Google Chromecast?
Unfortunately, Chromecasts are unable to be used on our wireless network. See the 'Wireless Gaming' link to the
left for more information.
How do I know if my tv has a QAM tuner?
- Many HD or digital televisions sold after 2006 have an internal digital QAM tuner.
- Check your TV remote control for a dot (.) or dash (-). If the remote has a dot (.) or a (-) included on the key pad, then the TV probably has a QAM tuner.
- Check your owner's manual specifications section and look for QAM tuner capabilities. If you no longer have
the owner's manual, you may find it on the TV manufacturer's website.
- If you are purchasing a new TV, simply ask a sales associate.
Can I use my television if it does NOT have a QAM tuner?
If your TV does not have a digital QAM tuner, then your TV will not be able to pick up the channels provided by BSU.
Can ResNet loan you a digital television adapter (DTA)?
Unfortunately, ResNet no longer provides DTA boxes as of Fall 2020.
If my TV does not have a QAM tuner, how can I take advantage of the cable package ResNet offers?
If your TV does not have a QAM tuner, you can still utilize the BSU cable TV package on any computer or mobile device while on campus through Xfinity on Campus at Xfinity.bridgew.edu.
ResNet can provide an HDMI cable to connect your laptop to your TV.
Cable TV Installation:
- Connect one end of the coaxial cable to the "antenna input" jack on the back of your TV then connect the other end to the cable jack located on the wall of your residence hall room. Make sure the connections are snug, but do not over tighten. (ResNet can supply you with a coax cable)
Plug the TV power cord into an electrical outlet and turn on the TV.
On your remote, find and press the <Menu> button.
Look through the list of options and find <Cable Settings>.
Be sure that this is set to <Cable> or <CATV>.
Perform a channel scan if necessary
More questions or still need assistance?
This page is maintained by ResNet. Send comments and suggestions to email@example.com. Last reviewed 8/3/2020.