FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
How do I set-up my Smart TV?
To get the digital channels, simply perform a channel scan as described above.
As for internet, Smart TV's can now connect to our 'BSU_Gaming' wireless network! Simply select the 'BSU_Gaming' network and enter the password 'resnet7999' to connect.
How do I program my digital TV to receive all the University channels?
When you set up your TV in your room, you will need to "scan" your TV for new channels. Exact details on how to auto program or auto tune digital TVs vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. For best results, refer to the owner’s manual for your specific TV.
Using the TVs remote control, follow these general steps:
Press the <Power> button to turn on the TV
Press the <Menu> Button
Select <Auto Program>
Select <OK> (Approx 10-15 minutes to complete full channel scan)
Can I connect a Google Chromecast?
Unfortunately, Chromecasts are unable to be used on our wireless network. See the 'Wireless Gaming' link to the
left for more information.
How do I know if my tv has a QAM tuner?
- Most HD or digital televisions sold after 2006 have an internal digital QAM tuner.
- Check your TV remote control for a dot (.) or dash (-). If the remote has a dot (.) or a (-) included on the key pad, then the TV probably has a QAM tuner.
- Check your owner's manual specifications section and look for QAM tuner capabilities. If you no longer have
the owner's manual, you may find it on the TV manufacturer's website.
- If you are purchasing a new TV, simply ask a sales associate.
Can I use my television if it does NOT have a QAM tuner?
If your TV does not have a digital QAM tuner, then your TV will not be able to pick up the channels on it's own.
However, TV's without a QAM tuner can use a digital converter box called a DTA box to get the channels that ResNet provides.
Can ResNet loan you a digital television adapter (DTA)?
Yes, if we have them available in stock.
These units are available on a first come, first serve basis.
Please email ResNet at firstname.lastname@example.org
for DTA loaner availability. Upon ResNet notification that the units are available, an appointment can be set up for a technician to make a house call and set the box up.
There is no charge for the DTA, however, there is a $200 fee if you do not return it to ResNet when you move out. Missing DTA components will also result in a charge to your student account.
Cable TV Installation:
- Connect the coaxial cable (ResNet can supply you with a coax cable) to the "antenna input" jack on the back of your TV then connect the other end to the cable wall jack. Make sure the connections are snug, but do not over tighten.
Plug the TV power cord into an electrical outlet and turn on the TV.
On your remote, find and press the <Menu> button.
Look through the list of options and find <Cable Settings>.
Be sure that this is set to <Cable> or <CATV>.
Perform a channel scan if necessary
More questions or still need assistance?
This page is maintained by ResNet. Send comments and suggestions to email@example.com. Last reviewed 8/4/17.